In this video, DIY Craft Creative shows how to make a simple DIY slide latch with a combination locking mechanism that could easily up the security (sic) on your pride and joy rat rod, among other possibilities.
What’s needed is minimal, and could likely be found among your scrap metal and parts bins…
- (3) Nuts
- (1) Approx. 1/2″ Steel Rod, 6″ long
- (1) Washer
- (3) 3/16″ Scrap Plate/Bar Stock, Approx. 1.25″ x 1.25″
- (1) 20d or 30d Nail or 3/16″ Steel Rod
- (1) 1/8″ Scrap Plate, Approx. 2″ x 4″
- (1) Miscellaneous Knob
- Speed Square
- Drill/Drill Press and Bits
- Grinder, Cut-Off Wheel
- Chop Saw
Editor’s Note: The concept in this video is sound. The workmanship leaves a little to be desired. Potential improvements include using something less crude than a stick welder, adding free-spinning washers between the nuts, and weld in place as opposed to philips head self-tappers.