Hot rodders, muscle car fans, and custom car builders have been using GM’s famous Turbo-Hydramatic three-speed automatic transmissions in their builds for decades with good reason. They are simple transmissions that can take significant amounts of power and are abundant in salvage yards. The aftermarket offers all manner of rebuild and performance upgrades for Turbo-Hydramatic transmissions making their use even more prolific.
Speedway Motors has built a universal floor-mount shifter for these applications with all the features you would need to allow easy control of your GM three-speed automatic to get you on the road quickly and at a great value.
The design of the side detent shifter allows for positive shifts without a lockout button, allowing builders to use manual transmission shift levers or any shift levers on their vehicles. The side detent shifter kit includes a shift boot, ring, hardware, neutral safety switch, and a backup light switch in addition to the shifter base and bar.
Joe McCollough explains the Side Detent Shifter from Speedway Motors and clearly demonstrates how to install it into a vehicle equipped with a General Motors TH200, TH250, TH350, or TH400 automatic transmission. Joe then replaces the column shifter in his 1969 Chevy C10 with the side detent floor shifter.
Side Detent Shifter Features
- Cable-operated shifter works with all GM Turbo-Hydramatic automatic transmissions including TH200, TH250, TH350 and TH400
- Constructed of durable steel and built to take years of abuse
- Robust reverse lockout and positive detents prevent inadvertent shifter movement during hard driving
- The kit includes hardware for a simple, bolt-on mount with integrated neutral safety switch and back-up light switch
- Bolt-on lever stub with 7/8″ center-to-center spacing and 3/8″-16 threads that accepts the 2-bolt manual shift lever of your choice (shift lever is not included)
A Shifter Built to Take Every Shift
The shifter assembly is made from steel to take years of abuse. It features a robust reverse lockout system to prevent accidental shifter movement into reverse during spirited manual shift driving. Positive shift position detents provide feedback confirmation as to what gear position you are in while preventing you from over-running 2nd gear.
The kit includes a neutral safety switch and a reverse light switch right on the shifter body that you can easily wire into stock wiring or any aftermarket wire harness solution. The shifter lever has been crafted with a 7/8-inch center to center spacing using 3/8-16 threaded holes to mount any two-bolt manual shift lever of your choice. The provided five-foot shifter cable allows multiple routing choices to clear exhaust and vehicle cross members. The included cable mounting bracket supports both side and bottom mounting locations on your transmission.
Simple Bolt-On Shifter Solution
This Side Detent Shifter is the perfect solution for your GM Turbo-Hydramatic-equipped project and mounts solidly to your transmission tunnel with the included hardware. Locate the shifter assembly, noting dash and seating constraints for your shift lever of choice, and drill four 5/16-inch holes to secure the shifter assembly in place.
An additional 1-inch hole will need to be drilled for the shifter cable to pass through to route the shifter cable from the shifter to the transmission. The included vacuum-formed ABS plastic top cover provides a finished look to the shifter. You can easily trim to match the contours of your transmission tunnel.
A chrome-plated steel trim ring and a stitched black vinyl multi-panel shift boot finish the installation for a classic and professional appearance. The top cover can even be fitted under your carpet if you choose so that only the trim ring and shift boot/lever are above the carpet for a near “factory” look.
- Fits GM TurboHydra TH200, TH250, TH350, and TH400
- Floor mount with single 1″ hole for cable
- Bolt-on lever stub with 7/8″ center-to-center spacing and 3/8″-16 threads that accepts the 2-bolt manual lever of your choice (not included)
- Positive detents ensure that you won’t over-run 2nd gear
- Reverse lockout detent
- Integrated neutral safety & back-up light switches
- The Universal Fit Floor Mount Side Detent Shifter Kit Includes:
- Shifter unit
- Top cover
- Black vinyl stiched boot
- Chrome-plated steel base ring
- 6.75″ x 5.25″ rectangular frame
- Stainless steel mounting screws
- Neutral switch
- All related hardware
- Add your own lever and knob to personalize to your taste
- Can be mounted under carpet to leave only the boot & lever exposed
Universal Fit Floor Mount Side Detent Shifter Dimensions
Side Detent Shifter Installation Instructions
Get the Universal Fit Floor Mount Side Detent Shifter Kit from Speedway Motors
This is Not a Sponsored Link — Simply an excellent product for your hot rod or custom car build.