Poppy’s Patina is not just a “sauce” that wears off — it seals your patina in a UV protected coat that will bead water for years. Located in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Poppy’s Patina is quickly becoming widely know as the best wipe-on clear coat for classic cars and trucks.
This clear coat product is a very simple wipe-on (or optional spray-on) application that provides beauty and depth to all patina surfaces. It seals surface rust and prevents further deterioration. The product enriches colors and provides a UV protection to prevent further color fading.
This product is as simple as wetting a cloth and wiping it on. No wipe off necessary, it dries streak free, and one coat is sufficient for a long lasting effect that can be enjoyed for years.
Matte and Gloss Finish Available
Poppy’s Patina Matte Finish will appear to be wet and shiny upon initial application but after 10-15 minutes cure time will have a matte finish that beads water for years to come.
Poppy’s Patina Gloss Finish dries to a hard finish that beads water for years to come.
Both Matte and Gloss Finishes are sold in 32oz cans.
How much do you need?
One 32 ounce container is sufficient to cover one long bed C10 Truck.
Clear Catalyst for Extra Protection
Poppy’s Patina clear catalyst can be used with either the matte clear coat or gloss clear coat by mixing at a ratio of 8:1 (8 parts clear to 1 part catalyst). This will add chemical resistance to the clear coat protecting it from accidental gas spills, etc. The catalyst is packaged in 8oz containers providing enough product to catalyze two 32oz cans of clear coat.
How To Order
Order Directly from Poppy’s Patina: https://poppyspatina.com/collections/all
Applying Poppy’s Patina Wipe-On Clear Coat
Editor’s Note: Full directions for use and product Safety Data Sheet(s) appear below…
Poppy’s Patina Wipe On Clear Coat Application Directions
Shake well before use. DO NOT APPLY IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
- Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment. For best results use in a well ventilated area at a temperature between 50° and 77° Fahrenheit.
- Wash the surface with dish soap and water using a light duty scuff/scouring pad removing as much loose scale, dirt, grit, and oxidation as possible. Rinse thoroughly. Let dry completely. If the surface has previously been coated with any wax or oil type coatings, use Poppy’s Patina Wax & Grease Remover by wetting one rag, wiping on, and drying with another clean, dry rag before applying the clear coat.
- Although not required but highly recommended is Poppy’s Patina’s Clear Catalyst at a mixing ratio of 8:1 (8 parts clear coat to 1 part catalyst) to achieve chemical resistance. Mixed product will have a two hour pot life at 77° Fahrenheit.
- Blow off provided applicator before use to get rid of any loose fibers.
- After the surface is completely dry, wet a provided applicator with Wipe On Clear Coat in a paint tray for large areas. For small or hard to get to areas, wet one a Recycled Knit Rag and wipe on. Always apply to a small inconspicuous area to test results before going over entire vehicle. Apply to one panel at a time wiping in an even, uniform direction.
- Allow 20-30 minutes for dry to touch and 24 hours for full cure.
- Use acetone or xylene to remove from unwanted surfaces.
- Lay used rags and applicators out flat to dry properly before disposing of, to avoid any spontaneous combustion.
- They recommend spraying instead of wiping over alkyd based paints.
- This product may also be sprayed using a HVLP spray gun with a 1.4 nozzle at 35 psi.
Poppy’s Patina Clear Catalyst Directions For Use
- Although not required but optional, is our clear catalyst used by mixing with either our matte clear coat or gloss clear coat at a ratio of 8:1 (8 parts clear to 1 part catalyst). This will add chemical resistance to the clear coat protecting it from accidental gas spills, etc. Our catalyst is packaged in 8oz containers providing enough product to catalyze two 32oz cans of clear coat
Poppy’s Patina Wax & Grease Remover Directions For Use
- This product is a pre cleaner to be used before applying the clear coat. It is used to remove any surface contaminates that may be present. It will remove any wax or oil type coatings that may have been previously applied to your patina surface.
- Simply wet a rag with the wax and grease remover; wipe on and wipe dry immediately with another clean dry rag. Repeat until surface is clean. Allow surface to fully dry before applying clear coat.