MuscleCar takes on an all-new project: restoring a 1970 Camaro RS and transforming it into a stock-style RS/SS L78 396 called Project Limelight…
Parts Used in this Episode:
- BF Goodrich: BFGoodrich G-Force KDW 255/35ZR18, 335/30ZR18
- Chevrolet Performance: LS7 Complete with Wiring Harness
- Detroit Speed & Engineering: Hydroformed Front Frame Rails, Stamped Crossmembers, Tubular Control Arms, Power Rack and Pinion, Shocks and Springs, C6 Steering Knuckles and Splined Sway Bar
- Detroit Speed & Engineering: QUADRA Link Four Link Rear Suspension, Coilover Shocks and Springs by Koni, QUADRA Link Rear Housing Brackets Welded to DTS Rear Axle Housing, Subframe Connectors
- Drive Train Specialist: Custom 12 Bolt Housing with Eaton Posi, Moser Axles and C-Clip Eliminators
- TCI Automotive: 4L60E Super Street Fighter Transmission with LS Bellhousing, 10\ Torque Convertor
- YearOne: 18×9 Silver Honeycomb Replica Wheels, 18×11 Silver Honeycomb Replica Wheels
Teardown of a Chevy 396/402 Big Block for a 1970 Camaro RS/SS Rebuild
The team shows you how to repair old sheet metal damage and rust spots. Take a trip to the sandblast shop to find out what Project Limelight looks like in her birthday suit. Tommy cracks open the donor 396 engine and make some unfortunate discoveries.
The front subframe on our 1970 Camaro is torn apart and rebuilt with upgraded stock parts including a stouter sway bar. The undercarriage is given a makeover, and the rear end is swapped out for a 12-bolt unit complete with heavy-duty springs. Flashback features a 1970 Camaro RS/Z28.
Sleeving a 396 Big Block for a 1970 Camaro
Learn how a block is sleeved when the 396 engine for our 1970 Camaro RS/SS goes to the machine shop. Tommy shows some of the finer points of assembling an engine including file-fitting rings and measuring rod clearance. Rick explains how to convert an auto car to a 4-speed.
Adding Custom Paint and Racing Stripes to a 1970 Camaro RS/SS
The 1970 Camaro RS/SS gets an era-appropriate coat of lime green, living up to the name Project Limelight! Learn how to refurbish an original set of painted steel wheels, including the trim rings. Find out how stripes are added over clear-coat.
1970 Camaro Interior
Learn how to install wiring and interior parts, including a bow-style headliner, as work continues on the 1970 Camaro. Rick shows how to re-foam and install seat covers on original seat frames.
Plumbing & Wiring a 402 Big Block
Project Limelight’s engine is decked out with the final details under the hood. Rick shows how to paint and install an aftermarket fiberglass hood on any car.
Firing Up the 396 Big Block
The 1970 Camaro RS/SS gets some finishing touches, then the guys pull an all-nighter getting the motor to start and run…
Test Driving the 1970 Camaro RS/SS Tribute Build
Rick and Tommy take Limelight out for a spin and visit one of the biggest classic car shows in the country. Rick shows some of the biggest mistakes painters make on their own rides…