When it comes to autocrossing, any driver will tell you that choosing the right performance tires makes all the difference. But how do you choose the best AutoX tires for your car or truck? To help answer that question, Summit Racing’s team of experienced autocrossers and racers put together this quick video.
It’ll walk you through some of the key tire features you need to consider when selecting good autocross tires. You’ll also hear all about how wear, grip, size, tread, contact patch, and budget all play big factors in your best tire choice.
From flyweight Miatas to big-power Corvettes and even vintage Detroit muscle, the video even explains how these autocross tire options can be impacted by the vehicle you’re driving. It’s a must-watch if you do much autocrossing or track day racing…
Best Tires for Autocross
Take a closer look at the AutoX tires discussed in the video, check out the information and links below:
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5 Tires:
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5 tires deliver extreme summer performance. They were developed for driving enthusiasts who want their tires tuned to lower their run times in solo, autocross, track attack, and hill climb events.
The g-Force Rival S 1.5 tires are designed to raise the limits by delivering extreme grip that’s extremely predictable, along with improved handling response. BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5 tires feature:
- Updated tread compound designed to offer maximum dry and improved wet grip, as well as offer quicker warm-up in competition conditions, yet continues to earn a UTQG 200 Treadwear rating.
- Silica-infused compound is molded into asymmetric tread 3-rib designs
- Large, solid outboard tread blocks
- BFGoodrich Extreme Tread Edge (ETE) shoulder design wraps the tread compound farther down the sidewalls for predictable feedback and maximum cornering grip from start to finish
- Lateral groove draft angles promote consistent performance and wear
- Chamfered block edges resist feathering under extreme cornering and braking
- BFGoodrich Performance Racing Core (PRC) reinforced internal structure that reduces flex to increase steering response
- Tread is stabilized by twin steel belts
- Equal Tension Containment System (ETEC System) of spirally-wrapped nylon optimizes the tire’s contact patch and traction at speed
- g-Control sidewall inserts tune the sidewall stiffening to promote steering response
- V-speed rated
Toyo Proxes R888R Tires:
Toyo Proxes R888R DOT competition tires are evolutions of the race-winning Proxes R888, delivering even faster lap times and better dry handling. The credit goes to a new tread design and an improved contact patch that puts more rubber on the track.
Racers will also appreciate the predictable handling and how quickly Proxes R888R tires reach optimal operating temperature. Features:
- High-grip race compound reaches optimal operating temperature quickly, providing consistent performance and improved grip for excellent cornering
- Optimized contact patch improves dry traction in braking, cornering, and acceleration
- Large tread blocks on outside tread maximizes lateral grip
- Wide center rib improves directional stability and precise steering
- Water evacuation channel assists with wet traction.
Yokohama ADVAN A085 Tires:
Yokohama ADVAN A052 tires make a statement on the street and a standout on the track. They feature a rounded rib profile that helps control contact pressure for balanced wet performance and stability at top speeds.
Yokohama’s new motorsports MS Compound combines the extreme grip of motorsports technology with the fuel efficiency of a BluEarth tire to deliver outstanding handling on and off the track.