Welding is a human superpower, there’s no question about it. It takes traditional ratchet-turning to an entirely new level, allowing you to fuse metal together to rebuild rotted frames, build special tools to extract seized bearing races, remove broken bolts—the possibilities are endless.
And while welding is hard, it’s not something you should be scared of. Just watch me, an amateur, show former Jalopnik writer Kristen Lee the ropes on a $100 welder.
Just a few years ago, welding intimidated me a bit. I’d tried it back in college, and just remember being unable to see anything, and struggling to make something that even resembled a serviceable weld.
Then in 2018, I bought my $500 Postal Jeep, realized it had a two-foot hole in its frame and had no choice but to overcome my hesitance. What I learned after talking with experts and successfully stitching up my Jeep’s frame was that welding should be respected, but not feared.David Tracy
Harbor Freight Flux 125 Welder
Get the benefit of wire welding without the hassle of gas. The Flux 125 Welder is a versatile flux core arc welder (FCAW) specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire.
This eliminates the need for gas and regulators that normal MIG welders require. Set-up is easy for gasless flux-cored welding.
With variable speed wire control and thermal overload protection, this flux wire welder provides dependable performance in a compact, lightweight package.
The Flux 125 welder can weld mild steel from 18 gauge up to 3/16in. thick which makes it ideal for jobs around the yard, shop or house.
Learn more: harborfreight.com/Flux-125-Welder…
- Includes everything you need to weld right out of the box
- The perfect welder for outdoor use and on dirty metals
- Output up to 125 amps
- Best in class duty cycle: 90A AC @17V, 20%
- Shielding gas NOT required….no need to buy gas bottles or regulators
- Trigger activated gun prevents accidental arc flash
- Compact, portable, and lightweight…weighs just 38lbs!
- Continuous wire feed speed control for optimal welding performance
- Built-in overload protection to prevent overheating