This 1967 Chevelle has a great patina look — it’s not too nice to drive to the grocery store, but it’s way more solid than your average beater.
In the process of attempting to prove you can have just as much fun without a show car paint job, the guys at Muscle Car Review wanted to inject as much fun and performance as possible into the project without disturbing it’s barn-fresh good looks.
Chevrolet Performance ponied up a Chevrolet Performance ZZ427 – 480 HP big block crate engine for the project, which quickly recieved a weathering treatment and looks like its always been in the car.
1967 Chevelle ~ Weathered Engine Detail
About the Chevrolet Performance ZZ427 – 480 HP Crate Engine
A modern take on the classic L88 engine
The L88 427 was the ultimate expression of Chevy’s production Big-Block power, combining a rigid iron cylinder block with lightweight aluminum cylinder heads and a single, four-barrel carburetor. Our engineers have recreated that classic, raspy rat engine, but with updated components that enhance drivability – and performance!
Our engine assembly features the latest-generation block casting with four-bolt main caps, an all-forged rotating assembly for exceptional strength and durability, and a hydraulic roller camshaft instead of the original L88’s flattappet cam, for greater drivability and a broader performance range. It also features aluminum oval-port cylinder heads with 2.19/1.88-inch valves and a pump-gas-friendly 10.0:1 compression ratio.
Whether you’re building a ’69 COPO Camaro resto-mod tribute, a modified mid-year Corvette or a street-tire class winner, this heritage-inspired crate engine delivers the performance that built the Big-Block’s legendary reputation.
ZZ427 – 480 HP Crate Engine Technical Specifications
- Part Number: 19166393
- Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
- Displacement (cu in): 427
- Bore x Stroke (in): 4.250 x 3.750
- Block (P/N 19170538): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
- Crankshaft (P/N 19171620): Forged steel
- Connecting Rods (P/N 19211226): Forged steel
- Pistons (P/N 19171618): Forged aluminum
- Camshaft Type (P/N 12366543): Hydraulic roller
- Valve Lift (in): .527 intake / .544 exhaust
- Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 224° intake / 234° exhaust
- Cylinder Heads (P/N 19331423): Aluminum oval port, 110cc chambers
- Valve Size (in): 2.190 intake / 1.880 exhaust
- Compression Ratio: 10.1:1
- Rocker Arms (P/N 19210726): Aluminum roller style
- Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
- Distributor (P/N 88961867): HEI type
- Carburetor (P/N 19170093): 770-cfm
- Water Pump (P/N 19168602): Aluminum short-style
- Spark Plugs and Wires: Included
- Flexplate (P/N 12561217): 14″
- Recommended Fuel: Premium pump
- Ignition Timing: 36° Total at 4,000 rpm
- Maximum Recommended rpm: 6,400
- Balanced: Internal
- Intake Manifold (P/N 12363406): Dual Plane
ZZ427 – 480 HP Crate Engine Installation Notes
- Due to crate fitment, the carburetor is shipped in a separate box and needs to be installed by an engine installer
- Requires addition of starter and fuel pump (not included)
- Clutch linkage bosses are drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance
- Comes with an internally balanced 14″ automatic transmission flexplate. Requires flywheel designed for internally balanced engines.
- Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
- Not intended for marine applications
NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.